Looking for a challenging ride with the best liquid rewards?
This tour takes place in the southeastern portion of Belgium, in French speaking “Wallonia”. We’ll visit a least 8 breweries, three Trappist monasteries, and a WWII history site.
- Wallonia is much more rural than Flanders, and we’ll be primarily in smaller towns with lots of peace and quiet to rest each night.
- This tour feature road bicycle rentals! You’ll fly over those hills on our Giant brand bikes. See FAQ’s for photos…
- This tour features around 400 kms / 250 miles in 8 biking days, averaging about 60 km / 37 miles a day in really hilly terrain. Flat stretches are rare here!
- Trappist Beer lovers! This tour is for you. We’ll get to see Rochefort, Orval, and Chimay! Not all the breweries are open to the public, but we’ll make the most of it by visiting the abbeys, tasting the beers, and even attending a church service with the monks if you are interested. At Chimay we sleep at their B&B across the street.
- 8-nights hotel, bike rental, breakfast, lunch, snacks, brewery tours + beer samples all included. Vehicle support included for groups at least 8. Everyone pays for their own dinner each evening.
- Make new friends and visit a different brewery every day, as you explore the country at the perfect speed to soak in your surroundings.
From Saisons to Wits, Trappist styles and Belgian IPA’s, this tour has something for everyone’s palette.
Typical breweries we visit on most tour include:
- Brasserie C – Liege’s new city brewery. Private tour + beer tasting + tapas!
- Brasserie Fantome – The small “ghost” brewery with a worldwide cult following. We’ll get a private tour and have lunch at the brewery.
- Interpol – The smallest brewery in Wallonia! We’ll get a tour from owner Pol, a home cooked dinner from his wife Tine, and stay at their B&B.
- Brasserie A’Chouffe – The largest brewery in Wallonia, just down the street from Interpol! Try their refreshing blond beer right from the source.
- Brasserie de Bastogne – Some of the most impressive beers in Belgium. We’ll get a tour and tell some jokes.
- Brasserie Caracole – The most unique brewery of this tour as they still brew under a wood fire! See if you can taste the smoke as you sample their delicious ales.
- Super des Fagnes – One of the most fun breweries in Belgium. German-style beer hall full of energy, sometimes live music.
- Trappist – We’ll visit the cafes of Rochefort, Chimay, and Orval. Orval’s cafe is extra special in that it is the only place in the world you can try the “Orval Green”.
- Other breweries change based upon availability and time of year. Places we have visited on previous tours include: La Rulles, L’Arogante, Brasserie Saint Monon, Brasserie Les Trois Fourquets.
Itinerary / Stats
Locations and distances vary from tour to tour, but generally fall between these guidelines:
- Day 1 – Our tour meets today in the lively city of Liege, the 2nd largest city in Wallonia. Only an hour and half by train from Brussels, so plenty of time to meet up with the group today for lunch. We’ll have our bikes delivered and do a warm up ride to nearby Brasserie C… and of course have some famous “Liege Waffles”
- Days 2 to 3 – Big hills and big view await as we cycle south, overnight in La-Roche-en-Ardenne and Achouffe. We’ll meet up with some locals for a secret “mystery event”. We sleep at the famous brewery / B&B of “Inter-Pol”, which is a highlight featuring a home-cooked meal.
- Days 4 to 5 – The cycling continues south, utilizing more of the “Ravel” network which our bike paths made from old rail lines. We will visit a few of the World War II memorials around Bastogne. This area is famous for the 1944 battle of the allied forces (led by US troops) trying to make it from Normandie through the Ardennes to Germany. Further south in Orval we will have a chance to attend a church service at the Trappist monastery, which is a very special event.
- Days 6 to 8 – Onwards towards the towns of Rochefort (home of our favorite Trappist quad), Dinant (birthplace of the saxophone), and Chimay, where we sleep at their famous B&B and can sample the Trappist ales and cheese to our heart’s content.
- Day 9 – All tours officially end at Brasserie Super des Fagnes in the town of Mariembourg. Sadly, our bicycles will be collected here and we’ll all walk over to the train station just down the road. Hopefully we’ll all have some new friends, photos, and memories to enjoy!
Markers show start/end + overnight hotel and B&B locations…