Our longest running, most popular tour, now in it’s 7th year.
This tour takes place in West Flanders, an area rich with beer culture. We’ll visit 9 breweries, the North Sea, and several WWI history sites.
- All skill levels welcome. Ride between 20 and 40 miles each day, 95% flat, with two nights in Gent, and a full rest day in Brugge.
- Perfect balance of historic cities, small villages, traditional family-owned breweries, inventive new beer makers, and a Trappist Monastery.
- The Holy Grail of beer “Westvleteren” is always a stop on this tour. Enjoy the magical monk’s recipe straight from the source!
- Bike / bag rentals, breakfast, lunch, snacks, brewery tours + beer samples all included. Vehicle support included for groups at least 8. Everyone pays for their own dinner each evening.
- Miles of scenic views of farms await us along our rides… Strawberries, zucchini, rhubarb, rye, wheat, Brussels sprouts, carrots, and of course the bigger fields with barley, potatoes and corn. We’ll get a chance to try regional produce with our meals.
- Make new friends and visit a different brewery every day, as you explore the country at the perfect speed to soak in your surroundings.
From Blonds to Bruins, Trappist styles and sours, this tour has something for everyone’s palette.
Typical breweries we visit on most tour include:
- Liefmans – One of the oldest breweries. Most famous for their “old bruin” style beers.
- De Ryck – Small, family-owned brewery that has won “best triple” in Europe several times.
- Van Steenberge – Makers of the legendary “Gulden Draak” and masters of balancing flavors of high alcohol beers.
- Fort Lapin – Based in Brugge, this small operation makes us feel at home while producing an outstanding line of beers.
- De Dolle Brouwers – The most friendly brewery on the planet! Some of our favorite people, and unique beers that always dazzle.
- Westvleteren – The holy grail! Come try the “12”, which is constantly rated one of the best beers in the world.
- Rodenbach – Most tours end at the legendary Rodenbach, famous for their blended Flanders Red ales aged in giant wooden foeders.
- Other brewery visits change based upon availability and time of year. Places we have visited on previous tours include: Gruut Stadsbrouwerij, Prearis, Seizoensbrouwerij Vandewalle, De Struise Brouwers, Van Eecke, Saint Bernardus, Kazematten, De Plukker, De Halve Maan, and Bourgogne des Flandres
Itinerary / Stats
Locations and distances vary from tour to tour, but generally fall between these guidelines:
- Day 1 – The group meets in the fun, lively city of Kortrijk. From Brussels it is 1 hour 15 minutes by train, or you can use our airport shuttle service for an extra charge. The tour officially starts at 11:00 AM when the bicycles are delivered to our hotel. We’ll do a warm up ride to a local brewery for lunch.
- Days 2 to 4 – Cycling along the canals visiting breweries nearby Oudenaarde which is famous for their annual “Tour of Flanders” bicycle race and “Old Brown” sour beers. In the medieval town of Ghent we will spend two nights, do a day trip to a brewery, and have time to explore the sights, sounds, and tastes.
- Days 3 to 5 – More beautiful canal paths await us in route to the the historic town of Brugge. Here we will have two nights to explore and a chance to rest those legs before we head out for more fun!
- Days 6 to 9 – When the weather is nice we go visit the North Sea. From there we bike to the more rural part of the provence, right near the French border. An overnight stay in Diksmuide (butter capital of Belgium), Watou (home of several great restaurants that cook with beer), and Ieper (home of the largest WWI museum and the nightly “Last Post” ceremony)Day 10 – All tours officially end at Brouwerij Rodenbach in Roeselare with a tour of their famous “Foeder Forest” and a sampling of their classic “Flanders Red” ales in a gorgeous tasting room. A train station is a few blocks away where we can say our goodbyes and continue on towards other European adventures. Tour ends around 4:00 PM.
Markers show start/end + overnight hotel and B&B locations…