Our popular food and beer tour, focusing on more off the beaten track locations around Belgium.
Foodies unite: In addition to visiting around 8 breweries, 2 Trappist monasteries, and touring a farm, we will dine our hearts out with amazing beer-cooked and beer-paired meals along the tour.
- All skill levels welcome. Ride between 20 and 40 miles each day, 90% flat, with two nights and a full rest day in Leuven.
- Perfect balance of historic cities, small villages, traditional family-owned breweries, inventive new beer makers, two Trappist Monasteries, and a tour of an organic farm!
- This tour features three dinners included in your trip fees! These are special dinners we have pre-reserved that are guaranteed to be special experiences. In addition, you also have special cheese / beer and a chocolate / beer workshops included!
- On this tour we will visit at least 8 breweries, and receive a private tour at many of them. No two breweries or tours are alike! Beer tastings are typically generous and are included in your trip fees!
- 9-nights hotel, bike / bag rentals, breakfast, lunch, snacks, brewery tours + beer samples all included. Vehicle support included for groups at least 8. Everyone pays for their own dinner each evening.
- Make new friends and visit a different brewery every day, as you explore a country at the perfect speed to soak in your surroundings.
From Spéciale Belge to Oak Aged Quads, Organic Browns and Farmhouse Sours, this tour has something for everyone’s palette.
Typical breweries we visit on most tour include:
- De Koninck – The city brewery of Antwerp, where we start our tours. We’ll have an interactive tour + sampling session in their grand tasting room.
- Westmalle Trappist – The brewery responsible for the commercialization of the beer style “Tripel”. We’ll have lunch at their wonderful cafe.
- Achel Trappist – The smallest of the Trappist beer producers has a great cycling-friendly cafe inside the monastery walls. We’ll relax here with lunch and try some of their Trappist Ice Cream.
- Brouwerij Jessenhofke – We’ll visit both this organic brewery, and the organic farm they source some of their grains from. In addition to a brewery tour the brewery family will cook us dinner which we will get to enjoy at the brewery!
- Hof ten Dormaal – A true “Farmhouse” brewery experience. We’ll get to visit the brewing family at their home / brewery, have lunch, and try about a dozen of their different beer styles.
- Duvel – The largest beer producer on this tour. See their enormous bottling line in action. Duvel will also host the cheese and beer pairing workshop for us!
- Malheur – All tours end at this wonderful family-run brewery, in which we will have a generous tasting session and informative tour.
- Other breweries change based upon availability and time of year. Places we have visited on previous tours include: Brouwerij Het Nest, Corsendonk Abbey, Brouwerij Het Anker, Brouwerij den Triest, De Cam Geuzestekerij, Brouwerij De Ryck, and Bosteels.
Itinerary / Stats
Locations and distances vary from tour to tour, but generally fall between these guidelines:
- Day 1 – Meeting today in Antwerp, one of our favorite cities in Flanders. Hotel check-in, bicycle setup. We’ll be taking a short bike ride to a special “mystery stop”, the city brewery, and later tonight your first included beer dinner at one of the best beer-themed restaurant in town.
- Days 2 to 3 – This will be the “Trappist” section of the tour as we cycle to Westmalle and Achel. Prepare for some amazing bike trails, along canals, farm roads, and quiet fields.
- Day 4 – Onwards towards Hasselt and our farm / organic brewery visit. Your second included dinner is tonight at the brewery. We’ll be sleeping in Hasselt, which is the Jenever (Gin) capital of Belgium.
- Days 5 to 6 – We’ll be in Leuven for two nights, which will be the location of our amazing beer and chocolate pairing workshop. This is always a highlight of the tour!
- Days 7 to 9 -The cycling days get shorter from here, but just as pretty. We’ll be staying in Mechelen (at the Brewery Het Anker’s B&B), Aalst (historic town with great beer bars), and Ninove, which is nearby the famous “Heeren van de Liedekerke” beer restaurant. This will be our final included beer dinner as is sure to be a memorable experience. 6 course and 12 beers over 4 hours! Indulge one last time with your new Beercycling best friends.
- Day 10 – All tours officially end at Brouwerij Malheur in Buggenhout around 1:30 PM. There is a train station is a few blocks away where we can say our goodbyes and continue on towards other European adventures.
Markers show start/end + overnight hotel and B&B locations…