Our popular food and beer tour, focusing on the more off-the-beaten-track locations around Belgium.
Foodies unite! In addition to visiting at least 8 breweries, a Trappist monastery, and touring a farm, we will dine our hearts out with amazing beer-cooked and beer-paired meals along the tour.
- All skill levels welcome. Ride between 20 and 45 miles each day, 90% flat.
- Perfect balance of historic cities, small villages, traditional family-owned breweries, inventive new beer makers, two Trappist Monasteries, and a tour of an organic farm!
- Three dinners are included in your trip fees! These are special menus that we have pre-reserved and they are guaranteed to be special experiences. In addition, you will also participate in two workshops, one on cheese and beer and the other on chocolate and beer, all part of the tour!
- Private tours at many of the breweries we visit. No two breweries or tours are alike! Beer tastings are typically generous and are covered by your trip fees!
- 7-nights hotel, bike / bag rentals, breakfast, lunch, snacks, brewery tours, and beer samples are all included. Vehicle support is provided for groups of at least 8.
- Make new friends and visit a different brewery every day as you explore Belgium at a speed allowing you to absorb your surroundings.
From Spéciale Belge to oak-aged quads, organic browns, and farmhouse sours, this tour has something for everyone’s beer palette.
Typical breweries we visit on most tour include:
- De Koninck – The city brewery of Antwerp, where we start our adventure. We’ll have an interactive tour followed by a sampling session in the brewery’s grand tasting room.
- Westmalle Trappist – The brewery responsible for the commercialization of the beer style “Tripel.” We’ll have lunch at the brewery’s wonderful cafe.
- Brouwerij Jessenhofke – We’ll visit both this organic brewery, and the organic farm they source some of their grains from. In addition to a brewery tour, the brewery family will cook dinner for us, which we will get to enjoy at the brewery!
- Hof ten Dormaal – A true “farmhouse” brewery experience. We’ll visit the owners at their home / brewery, have lunch, and try about a dozen of their different beers.
- Duvel – The largest beer producer on this tour. See their enormous bottling line in action. Duvel will also host a cheese and beer pairing workshop for us!
- Malheur – All tours end at this wonderful family-run brewery, where we will have a generous tasting session and informative tour.
- Additional brewery visits change based upon availability and time of year. Places we have visited on previous tours include: Brouwerij Het Nest, Corsendonk Abbey, Brouwerij Het Anker, Brouwerij den Triest, De Cam Geuzestekerij, Brouwerij De Ryck, and Bosteels.
Itinerary / Stats
Locations and distances vary from tour to tour, but are generally as follows:
- Day 1 – We meet in Antwerp, one of our favorite cities in Flanders. After checking in at our hotel and setting up the bikes, we’ll take a short ride to a “mystery stop” and then head over to the city brewery. Tonight you’ll enjoy your first beer-based dinner at one of the best beer-themed restaurant in town.
- Day 2 – This will be our “Trappist” section of the tour as we cycle to Westmalle. Prepare yourself for some near-perfect bike trails, along canals, farm roads, and quiet fields.
- Day 3 – Onwards towards Hasselt and to our farm / organic brewery visit. Your second included dinner is tonight at the brewery. We’ll be sleeping in Hasselt, the Jenever (gin) capital of Belgium.
- Day 4 – Our next stop is the lively town of Leuven, where you will take part in a beer and chocolate pairing workshop. Belgian beer and Belgian chocolate: this stop is always a highlight of the tour!
- Days 5 to 7 -The cycling days are shorter but the routes are just as pretty. We’ll be staying in Mechelen (at Brewery Het Anker’s B&B), Aalst (historic town with great beer bars), and Ninove, near the famous “Heeren van de Liedekerke” beer restaurant. This will be our final included beer dinner and it is sure to be a memorable experience: 6 courses and 12 beers over 4 hours! Indulge one last time with your new Beercycling friends.
- Day 8 – All tours officially end at the Brewery Malheur in Buggenhout at around 1:30 PM. There is a train station a few blocks away where we say our goodbyes as you continue on to other European adventures.
Markers show start/end + overnight hotel and B&B locations…