The perfect beer experience in the “Westhoek” region of Belgium.
This tour takes place in West Flanders, an area rich with beer culture. We’ll visit at least 5 breweries, Westvleteren Trappist abbey, the North Sea, and several WWI history sites.
- All skill levels welcome. Ride between 20 and 40 miles each day, 95% flat. We recommend arriving an extra night early to have two night to explore Brugge.
- Perfect balance of historic cities, small villages, traditional family-owned breweries, inventive new beer makers, and a Trappist Monastery.
- The holy grail of beer “Westvleteren” is always a stop on this tour. Enjoy the magical monk’s recipe straight from the source!
- On this tour we will visit at least 5 breweries, and receive a private tour at many of them. No two breweries or tours are alike! Beer tastings are typically generous and are included in your trip fees!
- 4-nights hotel, bike / bag rentals, breakfast, lunch, snacks, brewery tours + beer samples all included. Vehicle support included for groups of at least 8. Everyone pays for their own dinner each evening.
- Miles of scenic views of farms await us along our rides… Strawberries, zucchini, rhubarb, rye, wheat, Brussels sprouts, carrots, and of course the bigger fields with barley, potatoes and corn. We’ll get a chance to try regional produce with our meals.
- Make new friends and visit a different brewery every day, as you explore a country at the perfect speed to soak in your surroundings.
From Dubbels to Tripels, Krieks to Flanders Reds, this tour has something for everyone’s palette.
Typical breweries we visit on most tour include:
- Fort Lapin – Based in Brugge, this small operation makes us feel at home while producing an outstanding line of beers.
- De Dolle Brouwers – The most friendly brewery on the planet! Some of our favorite people, and unique beers that always dazzle.
- Westvleteren – The holy grail! Come try the “12”, which is constantly rated one of the best beers in the world.
- Rodenbach – Most tours end at the legendary Rodenbach, famous for their blended Flanders Red ales aged in giant wooden foeders.
- Other breweries change based upon availability and time of year. Places we have visited on previous tours include: Seizoensbrouwerij Vandewalle, De Struise Brouwers, Van Eecke, Saint Bernardus, Kazematten, De Plukker, De Halve Maan, and Bourgogne des Flandres
Itinerary / Stats
Locations and distances vary from tour to tour, but generally fall between these guidelines:
- Day 1 – The group meets in the fun, historic town of Brugge. We recommend arriving a night early to get more time to explore. We’ll have our bicycles delivered here a day a brief warm up ride around town.
- Day 2 – When the weather is nice we go visit the North Sea, heading afterwards into more a more rural part of the provence. We’ll visit De Dolle Brouwers, one of our favorite places in the world, and stay overnight in Diksmuide, the butter capital of Belgium.
- Days 3 to 4 – The journey continues all the way to the French border. We’ll stay in Watou at Saint Bernardus Brewery’s famous B&B. There are also several great restaurants that cook with beer in town. The following night we stay in Ieper, which is home of the largest WWI museum and the nightly “Last Post” ceremony.
- Day 5 – All tours officially end at Brouwerij Rodenbach in Roeselare with a tour of their famous “Foeder Forest” and a sampling of their classic “Flanders Red” ales in a gorgeous tasting room. A train station is a few blocks away where we can say our goodbyes and continue on towards other European adventures. Tour ends around 4:00 PM.
Markers show start/end + overnight hotel and B&B locations…