A condensed version of our longest running tour, focusing on East Flanders.
This tour takes place in East Flanders, an area rich with beer culture. We’ll visit at least 5 breweries, the medieval town of Gent, and end in Brugge.
- All skill levels welcome. Ride between 20 and 35 miles each day, 90% flat, with two nights in Gent. We’ll cycle along many dedicated bike routes, many along quiet canals.
- Perfect balance of historic cities, small villages, traditional family-owned breweries, and inventive new beer makers.
- Bike / bag rentals, breakfast, lunch, snacks, brewery tours + beer samples all included. Vehicle support included for groups at least 8. Everyone pays for their own dinner each evening.
- Miles of scenic views of farms await us along our rides… Strawberries, zucchini, rhubarb, rye, wheat, Brussels sprouts, carrots, and of course the bigger fields with barley, potatoes and corn. We’ll get a chance to try regional produce with our meals.
- This tour features two of our favorite “mystery stops” in Belgium. Who doesn’t like surprises?
- Make new friends and visit a different brewery every day, as you explore the country at the perfect speed to soak in your surroundings.
From Blonde to Bruin, Sweet to Sour, this tour has something for everyone’s palette.
Typical breweries we visit on most tour include:
- Liefmans – One of the oldest breweries. Most famous for their “old bruin” style beers.
- De Ryck – Small, family-owned brewery that has won “best triple” in Europe several times.
- Van Steenberge – Makers of the legendary “Gulden Draak” and masters of balancing flavors of high alcohol beers.
- Brouwerij ‘t Gaverhopke – Small artisanal brewery / cafe nearby Kortrijk. We’ll enjoy lunch and get a private tour.
- Brewery Bourgogne des Flandres – Brand new brewery in the heart of Brugge. We’ll get a tour and a generous beer tasting!
- Other brewery visits change based upon availability and time of year. Places we have visited on previous tours include: Huyghe (Delirium), Gruut Stadsbrouwerij, Vliegende Paard Brouwers (Prearis), Syphon, Fort Lapin, L’arrogante.
Itinerary / Stats
Locations and distances vary from tour to tour, but generally fall between these guidelines:
- Day 1 – The group meets in the fun, lively city of Kortrijk. From Brussels it is 1 hour 15 minutes by train, or you can use our airport shuttle service for an extra charge. The tour officially starts at 11:00 AM when the bicycles are delivered to our hotel. We’ll do a warm up ride to a local brewery for lunch.
- Days 2 to 4 – Cycling along the canals visiting breweries nearby Oudenaarde (sleeping overnight day #2) which is famous for their annual “Tour of Flanders” bicycle race and “Old Brown” sour beers. In the medieval town of Ghent we will spend two nights, do a day trip to a brewery, and have time to explore the sights, sounds, and tastes.
- Day 5 – More beautiful canal paths await us in route to the the historic town of Brugge. Here we will have a brewery tour and beer tasting before the tour officially ends. Most people will stay in Brugge an extra night and if so we will invite you to join us for a pub crawl and dinner in town! Brugge is full of great beer cafes, let us show you our favorites!
- Day 6-10 – This tour is available to be combined with our “5-Day Flanders Sampler” tour, which will meet the next morning in Brugge. If you’d like to sign up for both tours we offer a large discount!
Markers show start/end + overnight hotel and B&B locations…