Italy is more than just pasta and wine. Come discover why brewers all over the world are looking to Italy for “the next big thing” in beer.
This tour takes place in northern Italy, starting in Milan and ending in Parma. The region is flat and we will visit 5-8 breweries and share many great meals all served with amazing Italian hospitality.
- All skill levels welcome. Ride between 20 and 40 miles each day, completely flat.
- Foodies rejoice: Imaging combining excellent beers with the best cappuccinos, the best ice cream, the finest pizza, pasta, Parmesan cheese, Parma ham, and famous Italian burgers!
- On this tour we will visit 5 to 8 breweries, and receive a private tour at many of them. No two breweries or tours are alike! Beer tastings are typically generous, often paired with excellent local food, and are included in your trip fees!
- Hotels, bike / bag rentals, breakfast, lunch, snacks, brewery tours + beer samples all included. Vehicle support included for groups at least 8. Everyone pays for their own dinner each evening.
- Make new friends and visit a different brewery every day, as you explore the country at the perfect speed to soak in your surroundings.
From Sours to Barrel-aged Stouts, IPA’s and Wheat Beers, this tour has something for everyone’s palette.
Typical breweries we visit on most tour include:
- Birrificio Lambrate – Started in 1996 Lambrate is was one of the first craft breweries in Italy. This is a place where rock meets beer: The staff wears heavy metal shirts, bandana’s, Harley’s are parked everywhere. Welcome to the Italian craft beer scene!
- Birrificio Brewfist – Legends in the Italian beer scene. We’ll visit both their production facility, as well as their modern “Terminal 1” tasting room. Some amazing food pairings tonight.
- Del Ducato – One of the oldest and most famous craft brewers in Italy.
- Toccalmatto – One of the younger breweries that became world famous in record time because their beers are so good.
- Birrificio Panil – A small family owned brewery specialized in sours. A very special brewery, actually based on a winery where we are surrounded by grapes. Our visit includes a brewery visit, tasting and an early lunch, with lots of traditional Parma food, handmade by the family. (end of 5-day tour)
- For those of you looking for a longer tour we offer a “2-day add on” which features extra beer-exploration in Bologna! More cycling, breweries, history, and food await!
Itinerary / Stats
Locations and distances vary from tour to tour, but generally fall between these guidelines:
- Day 1 – We start our tour in the beautiful town of Milan, home to one of the best beer scenes in Italy. We’ll do most of our exploration on food / metro, visiting several beer bars and breweries.
- Day 2 – We put our luggage in the support van, and do a short train ride to Vidalengo. From there we do a 13 miles bike ride to get used to the lightweight titanium road bikes or hybrid bikes, a visit to a nearby brewery, and go to Crema, a very nice and very Italian small town.
- Days 3 – A nice bike ride through the flat countryside of the Po delta, with lots of old agriculture. We end today’s ride in Piacenza, a mid sized town with a very nice beer bars like Luppolleria: a mix of beer bar and cultural center, with lots of poetry, music, etc. Great place!
- Days 4 – A longer ride today through the beautiful Italian scenery. We will pass several nice really old villages and towns. The completely flat countryside makes it easy to enjoy the ride. Cremona, our destination for today, has one of the most beautiful town squares in the country, and there will be enough time today to wander around and explore the beauty of the town.
- Day 5 – On this day the landscape feels like we are in Belgium, with similar vegetation, livestock, and even similar dykes as in West Flanders or Holland. Culture-wise, it is 100% Italian, with retired men having their daily meeting on the central square, espresso bars, gelaterias and pizzerias everywhere, cute little Fiats, and colourfully dressed guys on fancy Pinarello road bikes. Since we have arrived the Parma region we will combine the beers with the best Parma ham and cheese you have ever tasted!
- Day 6 – The last day include a ride to Birrificio Panil, a really special visit. Afterwards, this is where your bicycles will be collected and we say our goodbyes. It’s easy to travel via train from Parma from here onwards to the rest of your holiday, or you can choose to extend your tour for two extra days with us to Bologna!
Markers show start + overnight hotel and B&B locations…