Our newest tour is in the beer mecca of Oregon, focusing on craft beers and scenic bikeways.
This tour starts in beer-rich Portland, Oregon before heading east along the Columbia River historic highway/bikeway. We’ll visit at least 7 breweries, and be overwhelmed with daily photo-ops, all while staying at amazing hotels each night.
- Ride between 20 and 32 miles each day, with two hilly days, and three flat days. This tour is open to beginners with some light training recommended.
- The historic Columbia River highway and bike trail will be a highlight of the tour. It is consistently rated one of the most scenic roads in the US.
- Every day we will visit one or two breweries. Oregon is known for their hoppy IPA’s, but we will explore a much wider variety along our route.
- 4-nights hotel, bike / bag rentals, passenger transport back to Portland, breakfast, lunch, snacks, brewery tours + beer samples all included. Vehicle support included for groups at least 8. Everyone pays for their own dinner each evening.
- Make new friends and visit a different brewery every day, as you explore a country at the perfect speed to soak in your surroundings.
From IPA’s to IIIPA’s, German Kolsch to Barrel-aged Sours, this tour has something for everyone’s palette.
Typical breweries we visit on most tour include:
- Base Camp Brewing – Amazing outdoor adventure-themed brewery, close by our hotel in Portland. They make amazing lagers and have several food carts onsite on their grand patio.
- Hair of the Dog – The small brewery with a world-wide cult following. We’ll enjoy a round here as we make our team introductions on the first day of the tour.
- Burnside Brewing – You’ll definitely want to stop in at this brewery as it is right across the street from our hotel on night #1! Burnside makes great IPA’s, and always has an interesting new seasonal beer to try.
- Zoiglhaus – Newer brewery in Portland making primarily German style beers, along with Northwest staples like IPA’s. We’ll have lunch at the brewery and a private tour on day #2.
- Edgefield – Our hotel on night #2 is also a brewery! (and a winery, distillery, cidery!) We’ll get to run around like kids at a candy store at the Edgefield property sampling our hearts out. They also have an enormous warm soaking pool which we can use that is for hotel guests only!
- Thunder Island Brewing – The brewery in the prettiest location of the tour, nestled right against the banks of the Columbia River, this bicycle-friendly brewpub will be the main attraction on night #3. And our hotel is only 500 feet away, so go ahead and have another round!
- Double Mountain– The pride and joy of Hood River. Double Mountain has been consistently making world class IPA’s, sours, and Belgian-style beers for 10 years. They also make the best pizza in the world. (no joke!)
- pFriem– Another brewery located right on the banks of the Columbia River. pFriem is a family-run brewery specializing in Belgian styles. We’ll enjoy some beers at their brewery and if the weather is nice enjoy some outside time on the beach right in front.
- Other breweries change based upon availability and time of year. Places we will visit on some tours include: Breakside Brewing, Culmination Brewing, Full Sail Brewing, Solera Brewing, Logsdon Farmhouse Ales, Walking Man.
Itinerary / Stats
Locations and distances vary from tour to tour, but generally fall between these guidelines:
- Day 1 – The group meets in Portland at the Jupiter hotel, situated in a fun part of the city, inner SE, with tons of breweries surrounding us. Our bicycles will be delivered here and we can do a warm up ride for lunch to a brewery in town. Group dinner option tonight at another brewery nearby.
- Day 2 – Today we cycle along the Springwater Corridor, dedicated pedestrian, on our way out of of town. Stopping for lunch/tour of Zoiglhaus before continuing to the majestic Edgefield property in Troutdale. This hotel is near impossible to book in the Spring/Summer, so we are in for a treat! Enjoy beers brewed on-site of the hotel while you wander around the property. You can even play golf, swim in the soaking pool, or watch a movie at their own theatre.
- Day 3 – Today starts our journey on the historic Columbia River highway. We’ll have one big mountain climb today (about 900 feet) to take us to the top of the Gorge for some epic views of the river. We’ll do a picnic today at one of the many waterfalls we’ll cycle by on the way to Cascade Locks, our home for the night.
- Day 4 – Today we continue on the dedicated bicycle trail towards Hood River. We’ll get shuttled via a passenger van for the last 10 miles and have lunch in Hood River. Plenty of time off this evening to explore the charming mountain / river town. Recommend the pizza at Double Mountain for dinner!
- Day 5 – Today we will do one last scenic ride, either go to Parkdale or Mosier depending on brewery availability. We’ll do one last brewery tour before getting shuttled back to Portland. If you have any energy left, we can visit another brewery in Portland before we say our sad goodbyes!
Markers show start/end + overnight hotel and B&B locations…